Taking Back Your Name After Divorcing

Thursday, April 19th, 2018, 3:02 am

There are a lot of things to consider when going through a divorce. From child support and custody to dividing your assets, a divorce can often become a long and stressful process.


While you don't need to take back your last name after going through a divorce in New York, it is something that many women choose to do. If you've recently been through a divorce or you're currently in the process of divorcing, you may be wondering how to get your last name back legally.


Changing your last name back is more than just filling out paperwork and getting a new license or passport. You'll also need to change bank accounts, credit cards, loans, and more.


Here's a look at how you can do that.

Legally Changing Your Last Name After a Divorce

To change your last name after a divorce, you'll need the following documents:

  • A copy of your New York state divorce decree
  • A form of photo identification, such as a driver's license or passport
  • Proof of age, such as your birth certificate

Your divorce decree should grant you permission to legally change your name. If it does not, you'll want to contact the divorce court and ask them to make an amendment to the document.


If they will not amend the document, you will need to Petition for a Name Change.


Once you have legal permission to change your name, you'll first want to contact the Social Security Office. They will review your documents, then present you with a certificate approving your name change.


You can then use this document to show all other institutions that your last name has legally changed.


What You Need to Change

When your last name is legally changed, you'll need to change all accounts that have your wedded last name on file.


This may include the following:

  • Bank accounts
  • Credit cards
  • Bills
  • Titled assets
  • Investments, retirement plans, and mortgages


Be sure to reach out to the appropriate individuals to have your account information changed.

When going through a divorce, it helps to have a professional attorney working on your side. If you're in the Queens area, FK Law Group, P.C. can work with you. Contact us today at 800.631.1757 for a free consultation.

back to top

Category: Uncategorized

Comments are closed.

FK Law Group

80-12 193 street, Hollis, NY 11423

Office: (800) 631-1757