What Happens if an Ex Spouse Doesn’t Pay Child Support?

  • Posted on: Jan 18 2018
  • By:

Choosing to get a divorce is never easy. However, when children and child support is involved, the process can become even more difficult. In the State of New York, both parents must share in taking care of the children financially. Unfortunately, sometimes a spouse may not follow this obligation.

If your ex-spouse is not paying their share of spousal support, there are a few things you can do. Let’s take a look at the steps you should take if your ex-spouse refuses to pay.

Hold an Informal Meeting

An informal meeting can be a great way to address the situation without getting the court involved. Through sitting down and chatting about the problem, you may be able to come to a solution to ensure the child support is paid.

Unfortunately, not all divorcing couples are friendly enough to have a one-on-one meeting. If you are uncomfortable meeting with your ex-spouse or the meeting does not resolve the problem, you’ll want to contact a divorce attorney.

Seek Legal Enforcement

If your ex-spouse still will not pay child support, a divorce and family attorney can help you seek legal enforcement. There are a few different ways the court can help you get your child support. Here are a few:

  • Income Execution: If an income execution is issued, child support may be deducted from your ex-spouse’s wages.
  • License Suspension: The court can suspend the individual’s driver’s license until they pay.
  • Jail Time: If enough time passes without child support payment, your ex-spouse may need to serve jail time.

The right legal enforcement will depend on your unique situation and the needs of your case. However, when trying to secure child support from an unwilling ex-spouse, it is always best to work with an experienced divorce and family attorney.

If you’re struggling to get child support from your ex-spouse or you have additional questions about divorce in Queens, contact FK Law Group today. With an expert team of divorce attorneys, we can help you navigate the channels of divorce without adding additional stress. Give us a call at 917.499.3913 for your free consultation.

Posted in: Uncategorized